Prabuddhi Wariyapperuma attends IEEE STEM Research Symposium  

By Prabuddhi Wariyapperuma

I recently had the privilege of attending the fourth edition of the IEEE UK & Ireland Young Professionals Postgraduate STEM Research Symposium at Northumbria University, Newcastle, on November 18, 2023. This symposium served as a unique platform for early-stage researchers not only from the UK and Ireland, but also from around the world to showcase their diverse research work and interact with audiences from various fields of expertise. 

The symposium featured 11 successful posters covering a wide range of topics, including robotics, machine learning, computer vision, electronics, and telecommunications. This event enabled researchers to present their work, engage in valuable discussions, and exchange ideas. Further, I had the opportunity to share my research at the symposium, focusing on my MSc work titled “Human detection and body posture recognition for human-robot collaborative applications”. 

The volunteers of the Engineering Society of Northumbria University played  a crucial role in the success of the event. Prof. Zabih Ghassemlooy was the keynote speaker for the event, sharing valuable insights on the importance of work-life balance and navigating life beyond a PhD. His speech resonated with many attendees, including myself.  

The symposium also recognized outstanding contributions with the best poster award going to Ullas Shivaprakash for his work on “Holistic data-driven monitoring system for the three-infrastructure system”. This innovative project obtained the highest votes from attendees. Additionally, Hansi Mayadunnage received the best abstract award for her work on “A contrastive learning approach for brain tumor segmentation in medical imaging”. 

I also had the honor of attending the IEEE Mentoring Meet, a significant component of the event, where I engaged in mentoring experiences, connecting with experienced industry leaders. This provided a space for mentors and mentees to connect, share insights, and receive guidance and support. 

In summary, my experience at this event was a day filled with learning, networking, and the recognition of outstanding contributions to the field. 

Published inEventsOutreach & Dissemination

Be First to Comment